Re: Solution "Midi Through Port-0"?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Solution "Midi Through Port-0"?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 23:38:45 +0100

Sorry, I hit reply before finishing...

On Wed, Jan 27 2021 at 11:33:58 PM +0100, Federico Bruni <fede@inventati.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27 2021 at 08:24:50 PM +0100, Silvain Dupertuis <silvain-dupertuis@bluewin.ch> wrote:
I am on Ubuntu (18.04 on my main machine) and use Frescobaldi
 Midi output works fine for me.
I did not play with settings so far...
For midi ports, I have
Output reader = TiMidity port 0
Entry port = Midi Through Port-0

You did not have to play with the settings probably because you already had timidity installed and running as a service in background.

More information on MIDI playback is in the wiki:

https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/wiki/MIDI-playback-on-Linux

The only thing : If I just press the  button
 (whatever it is called in English, in French, it says "graver")
it does not save ouput. I have to save the Lilypond file also to get PDF and midi output.

This is a common misunderstanding.
There's an option in the Preferences to autosave the file when you click on Engrave button.

Perhaps the default should be the opposite of what it is now.
I think I made this suggestion on some Github issue.