Re: convert-ly

From: JxStarks
Subject: Re: convert-ly
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 09:52:15 -0400

Thanks Hans: that did the trick. I guess I need to practice reading to the end of the section before launching into trial-and-error. :-)

Jerry

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 1:22 AM Hans Aikema <hans.aikema@aikebah.net> wrote:

On 3 Jun 2021, at 02:34, JxStarks <jxstarks@gmail.com> wrote:

Some progress (cheers!):
Re-naming the file to convert-ly.py enabled my system to treat it like an executable file. However, now it says it can't open the files:
===
C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\RPC\Music\Christmas>convert-ly.py -e *.ly
convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.22.1

convert-ly.py: error: *.ly: Unable to open file
convert-ly.py: warning: There was 1 error.

C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\RPC\Music\Christmas>
===

There are 34 LilyPond files (all ending with .ly) in this folder. However, the multi-word names are separated by dashes, as in "It-Came-Upon-A-Midnight-Clear.ly". Does this confuse convert-ly?
Am I missing something else?

Jerry

Jerry,

the convert-ly script does not interpret wildcards, but requires the file explicitly. The way you call it makes it look for a file that is named *.ly (which can never be present as * is not an allowed character for a filename)

As documented on
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/usage/invoking-convert_002dly
you need to use the 'forfiles' windows command to run the conversion for multiple files using a wildcard:
forfiles /s /M *.ly /c "cmd /c convert-ly.py -e @file"