Re: Terminology question

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:54:51 +0100

Err, we're back to a terminology question. Strictly speaking possession is one use of the more general genitive which gives a relationship, consider:

Give me William's book   - The book owned by William.
Let's go to John's local - The pub frequented by John.

Both are genitives, but only the first is possessive. Evidently the term "possessive case" only came into use in C18, prior to that genitive had been universally used. In short: "possessive case" is a limited subset of the grammatical genitive case.