Re: oldie/newbie convert/fresco question

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: oldie/newbie convert/fresco question
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 18:28:07 +0200

Hello Jay,

Sorry for the previous message, obviously sent
by accident!

Le 01/08/2021 à 18:10, jh a écrit :

A while back David K kept on trying to get me to update beyond 2.18.2 even though I said I'd failed a number of times and that many of the changes between these versions seem opaque to me.

Well, what changes between 2.18 and 2.22 seem
opaque to you? If some entries in the Changes
document are not understandable by users, that
should be fixed.

My main text editor has developed a major crash where it freezes everything and the creator is unable to fix it. I have rarely used Frescobaldi because generally everything has worked but when stymied it has helped in the past to find my mistake. So I decided to default to it. Noticed that it has a convert ly tool tried it.

Do note that the convert-ly tool is provided
by LilyPond and thus dependent on the version
of LilyPond. Frescobaldi merely gives you a
GUI button to run it. You could also run it
using the command line. The Application Usage
manual explains how to do this.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/usage/invoking-convert_002dly

This machine is generally not online; the convert tool ran for 4 hours and nothing changed.  I gave in and went online and the tool does work.

1] it seems that this will not work if unconnected to the internet.  My notation win10 is not connected for various reasons and just as I have had issues with updating versions to lily I have even connected to the internet am unable to update win10 which is fine- sort of.
but
2] if convert ly requires internet connection I'm kind of stuck because win10 did not allow (or didn't tell me how to have two versions of lily on my machine.  So I downloaded the current version uninstalled 2.18 and installed the current version 22.something.
so
Must I be online in order to access my thousand of pieces (my compositions) written in everything from 1.? and 2.18? to get this to work or is there more than another way?

convert-ly ships with LilyPond with all conversion rules
built in and does not access the Net in any way. The
problem must be elsewhere.

When you say that convert-ly hung, what did it print on
the command line?

I'm kind of hoping this is the right place to ask this as it is connected to Frescobaldi but seems to me to be a lily question.

Yes, it is the right place.

Best regards,
Jean