Re: Placement of dynamic hairpins under chords with seconds

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Placement of dynamic hairpins under chords with seconds
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 08:12:25 +0100

At 11:59 06/08/2021 -0700, Knute Snortum wrote:
I have a minor quibble. If you have a dynamic hairpin under a chord with a second interval, the hairpin extends a little to the left (to cover the whole chord?) I think it should only extend to the stem. I'm not an expert in engraving but the sheet music I've seen seems to back this up. What do you guys think?

Does Elaine Gould count as a "guy"? She says "A hairpin should start at the first relevant notehead (not accidental) and end with the following notehead or at the first rest thereafter. Good practice is to start the hairpin on the left-hand edge of the note and to finish it on the right-hand edge of a note" (Behind Bars, p. 104). She doesn't include examples of what she calls "adjacent-note chords", but her examples of notes with stems up show the hairpins starting at the left of the first notehead, not the stem. If you put \stemUp into your second example, you will see that Lilypond follows this principle.

Brian Barker