how to write an extended dim and cresc (text, not hairpins) , like a tri

From: Kenneth Wolcott
Subject: how to write an extended dim and cresc (text, not hairpins) , like a trillSpan?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 14:14:57 -0700

Hi;

How to write an extended dim and cresc (text, not hairpins) ,like a trillSpan?

I have attached screenshots of the original music I am transcribing
from to show what I am trying to engrave.

I have the following macros defined:

cresc = _\markup \italic "cresc."
dimin = _\markup \italic "dimin."

I tried adding a dash to the end of the quoted text in each macro.  I
got an error that there was no terminating of the macro (I don't
remember the text text of the error message).

Where do I look in the manual for this long extension (span?) of the
expressive mark?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott