Re: Lilypond not generating PDF

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Lilypond not generating PDF
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 15:41:17 -0700

On 2022-07-04 3:03 pm, Paul Hodges wrote:
Blocking dropping onto elevated targets from a non-elevated desktop
has been a security feature of UAC since it was introduced a decade
and a half ago.

You can remove the restriction by running with UAC
turned off, which the security-minded will of course advise you not to
do, and many people have no clue about anyway (it is, however, the way
I run my machine, because I choose how to control my security myself).

Alternatively, you can get a third-party file manager, run it with
elevated permissions, and then drop and drop within it - but you can't
elevate Windows Explorer to try to get the same effect.

LilyPond does not require nor does it request elevation.

The UAC limitation you refer to is irrelevant, as that only concerns cross-application behavior where one process has a lower privilege level. There would be no such problem when you are dragging and dropping files within the shell itself, as would be the case when dropping onto a desktop shortcut.

-- Aaron Hill