Re: Lilypond not generating PDF

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Lilypond not generating PDF
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 10:07:03 +1000

I'm sorry, I don't understand this. Dragging test.ly on the desktop to the LilyPond icon on the desktop fails to produce the PDF output. Both on Windows 10 and 11.

What I also completely fail to understand is given that this has apparently never worked, why the instructions for 2.22 stable release say to do this, and that people are advised explicitly to choose the stable release if they want, well, stability and presumably correct operation.

Now it's all very well saying the new version has dropped the app because it was limited, but it was good enough for a very long time, an also, obviously, this is not mentioned in the manual for the stable release.

Are we still updating 2.22? Can I volunteer to remove that section from the installation page?

To a large extent I don't care. I don't use Windows for LilyPond. But I am sure there are many who do. It's a bad UX to have the first steps in the instructions fail. It's enough for people to remove the program right away, if that's the opening overture.

As to using a different file manager, well the whole point is that this is a problem on the desktop, and it's convenient to have working files on the desktop for quick and easy access.

Andrew