Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? mayb

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? maybe?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 06:53:19 -0700

On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 09:38:31AM -0400, Kevin Cole wrote:
>    With my very limited knowledge of music theory, I don't know what term(s)
>    to search for.
>    I have a piece of music that starts with eight measures of piano, before
>    the vocal part comes in. So, it only shows the treble and bass clef staves
>    for eight measures, and then adds another staff when the vocals start.

Usually that's called an introduction?  "Prelude" literally would mean
the same thing, except that "prelude" is usually used to mean a
standalone extended movement meant to introduce a larger work -- 8 bars
would be a little short for that.

>    I'm guessing that once I know what it's called I can read up on it
>    in the documentation and / or find a good example of how to code
>    that in LilyPond.
>    (I thought perhaps I could "cheat" and use something like lots of
>    "s1" followed by a "\break" and it might hide that portion of the
>    vocals because nothing's happening, but it didn't work and I
>    suspect that's not the right way to think about it anyway.)
>    Thanks.

You could create a new vocal staff start 8 bars into the music; that
would have the intended effect, I think.

Almost all proofs have bugs, but almost all theorems are true. -- Paul Pedersen