Re: lilypond-book texinfo and a two-book-ly-file

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: lilypond-book texinfo and a two-book-ly-file
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 23:43:43 +0200

Am Sa., 9. Juli 2022 um 16:44 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 09/07/2022 à 13:41, Thomas Morley a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > for some huge custom code I'm going to write some documentation using
> > texinfo.
> > I started to set up the file manual.tely.
> > In terminal then:
> >      lilypond-book manual.tely
> >      texi2html manual.texi
> >
> > At some point I have:
> > @lilypondfile[quote]{../doc-snippets/haenschen-klein.ly}
> >
> > Two questions about it:
> > (1) This ly-file ouputs two books and I see several images after
> > running lilypond-book for it:
> > lily-6333cb39-1-1.eps
> > lily-6333cb39-1.eps
> > lily-6333cb39.eps
> > lily-6333cb39-1.png
> > lily-6333cb39.png
> > Alas only the output of the first book is finally printed (i.e. after
> > texi2html)
> > Is it possible get both books printed?
>

> A low-tech solution is to put your music variables in an
> include file and do two ly snippets, each with one of the
> two books.

Ok, I'll continue to try out things :)

> > (2) One of the books is in portrait the other in landscape format
> > Is there any texinfo option to get the landscape one rotated?
> > That landscape thingy is needed and I can't change it, it may be an
> > option to drop the portrait-book, though.
> > Even dropping that one I'd need to get the landscape output rotated, though.
>
> I don't think Texinfo has an easy way to rotate an image when
> inserting it.
>
> If I were to do this, I would probably just write the documentation
> in a .ly file using \markup. Alternatively, I might use Sphinx,
> which unlike Texinfo is extensible, and modify
> https://github.com/sphinx-notes/lilypond
> to add support for rotating the output.
>
> Jean

I'll really love the texinfo/lilypond-book/html combination.
Most the feature to click on an image and get the source-code.

Thus \markup in ly-file is no option.
I once tried for another project, it was a nightmare...

I had a quick glance over the sphinx docu
https://sphinx.silverrainz.me/lilypond/
But couldn't figure whether it's possible with sphinx?

Thanks,
  Harm