Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:26:08 +0100

On Mon, 2022-07-18 at 11:15 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 17/07/2022 à 17:03, David Sumbler a écrit :

Is it the intention that the next "stable" version of Lilypond will be
packaged in this new way?  Will the shell script be done away with
there too?

Even if not, what are the perceived advantages of this change for the
development versions, at least?

Yes, all new versions of LilyPond will use this packaging. Getting
rid of the .sh script was not the only change; it was actually a
wholesale switch to a new compilation system, which is now 100×
simpler and more reliable, and now creates static binaries. Before,
a .sh installer was required, because once installed the binaries
couldn't be moved around. Now that they can, it is just unnecessary.

Not having a .sh installer has other advantages, too. It avoids
conflicts with distro packages. It makes the installation process
exactly the same across all OSes. It prevents people from shooting
themselves in the foot by not realizing that several versions of
LilyPond can be installed in parallel.

I should think that most users only use one version at a time, unless they have the understanding to help in testing development versions, in which case they would probably know that they can have several versions.

I think you are overcomplicating things by trying to mimic
the previous installation process with the new binaries.
Changing /usr/local/ is normally done by package managers
and dedicated tools, not by hand. If you don't know what
you're doing there, don't touch it. (This kind of advice applies
to any command using sudo, actually.)

I merely moved the new installation to the place where it would have been put by the script, had there been one.  I have successfully administered my own Linux boxes for the last 20 years or so without any major mishaps...

Instead, follow these simple steps. (I agree that _finding_ them
is not simple, but again it will eventually be in the learning
manual, with screenshots. That change has landed and will appear
in the next release.)

1. Download the archive.
2. Unpack it.
3. Move the lilypond-2.23.10 directory inside it in your
    home folder.
4. In your .emacs, change the path in (expand-file-name ...)
    to "~/lilypond-2.23.10/share/emacs/site-lisp".

And that's all.

Thanks for those clear instructions.  And having set up an alias, as suggested by David W., I found that typing 'lilypond' in a bash terminal produces the expected result.  However, this is not something I often do.

My usual work pattern is to edit .ly files etc. in emacs, and then to use the Lilypond-mode command C-c C-l or C-c C-f to produce a PDF or Postscript file.  Unfortunately I found that this now just produces an error message, such as:

lilypond /home/david/Cloud/LilyPond/test.ly
/bin/bash: line 1: lilypond: command not found

Compilation exited abnormally with code 127 at Tue Jul 19 16:07:42

I eventually realized that having the alias included in .bashrc was not working because this is only for interactive shells.  But I have tried putting it in .bash_profile, logging out and then logging in again, and this doesn't work either.

If somebody can suggest how I get emacs-mode Lilypond-command-lilypond and Lilypond-command-formatps to work, it will be very much appreciated, as always.

David