Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 09:00:40 +0100

On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 16:52 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
On Tue, 2022-07-19 at 23:56 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 19/07/2022 à 18:26, David Sumbler a écrit :
My usual work pattern is to edit .ly files etc. in emacs, and then to
use the Lilypond-mode command C-c C-l or C-c C-f to produce a PDF or
Postscript file.  Unfortunately I found that this now just produces an
error message, such as:

lilypond /home/david/Cloud/LilyPond/test.ly
/bin/bash: line 1: lilypond: command not found

Compilation exited abnormally with code 127 at Tue Jul 19 16:07:42

I eventually realized that having the alias included in .bashrc was
not working because this is only for interactive shells.  But I have
tried putting it in .bash_profile, logging out and then logging in
again, and this doesn't work either.

An alias only has effect in the shell, not on the system
in general. You'd need to set up actual scripts in a place
where they will be found. One way to do so is to add
symlinks in a directory that is on your PATH, like ~/bin.

ln -s /path/to/lilypond-2.23.10/bin/* ~/bin

Though, in my opinion, the best way is to actually point
your editor to the executable, see below.

If somebody can suggest how I get emacs-mode Lilypond-command-lilypond
and Lilypond-command-formatps to work, it will be very much
appreciated, as always.

Try this:

Edit any .ly file in Emacs

M-x customize-variable

In minibuffer, enter 'LilyPond-lilypond-command'

A customization screen appears, click on the arrow on the
left to expand the variable. On the right, write the full
path to LilyPond:

/.../lilypond-2.23.10/bin/lilypond

Now C-x C-s to save, and q to quit Custom.

After that, try C-c C-l on the .ly file. It should
be compiled with the lilypond executable you specified.

This worked perfectly, although I don't fully understand it.  At first I assumed that your 'LilyPond-lilypond-command' was a typo for 'LilyPond-command-lilypond', but that wasn't recognized as a command whereas your version was.  I now see that your version is a Lilypond-mode command, and my version is a Lilypond-mode Lisp function.  No wonder I couldn't figure it out for myself.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.  It looks as if I now have Lilypond up and running again.

David