Re: Undertie in lyrics to show no breath

From: mancunius
Subject: Re: Undertie in lyrics to show no breath
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:52:17 +0200

Thank you for the replies. The lyric tie doesn’t need to extend to the next syllable, but it looks odd when appended to the left syllable at the same time as displacing it; it looks like an error, especially if the left syllable were to stretch across more than one note as in the revised example below.

The purpose of a dotted slur between the notes is ambiguous, so I’d rather not take that route.

My preference is to have a lyric tie equally spaced between the two syllables: it looks elegant and its purpose is clear.

\version "2.20.0"
\language "english"

global =
{
\key d \major
}

soprano=\relative c'{
r4 cs cs a
d e cs fs ~
fs %\breathe
b, fs' fs8 fs
a4. a8 g4 fs
}

sopranotext=\lyricmode{
O sa -- crum con -- ví -- vi -- um,~ __
O sa -- crum con -- ví -- vi -- um, con
}

\score {
{
\new Staff <<
\global
\new Voice="v1"
{
\clef "treble"
\soprano
}
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "v1" {\sopranotext}