Re: Last note of a first alternative is a tie to the first note in the r

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Last note of a first alternative is a tie to the first note in the repeat; how to engrave this?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:25:26 +0200

Carl Sorensen <carl.d.sorensen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 7:30 AM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> The current naming is a drag.
>>
>> "\repeatTie" and "\laissezvibrer" are a stupid combination of terms for
>> the two different half ties you need to deal with in the context of
>> repeats or other visual non-linearities.
>>

> I completely agree.  Since there are other applications for a half tie, the
> name shouldn't be \laissezvibrer.
>

>> \startTie and \stopTie would make a lot more sense (even though they
>> don't need to be matched at all).  \laissezvibrer might be an alias,
>> though I am not sure whether it would not, in that function, be
>> deserving of some tweaks giving it a longer minimal visual length.
>>

> I might prefer \beginTie and \endTie or \tieBegin and \tieEnd.   \startTie
> and \stopTie don't seem to match the current usage of \startStaff and
> \stopStaff, although I think it's not that big a deal.

There is also \startTrillSpan/\stopTrillSpan, \startGroup/\stopGroup,
\startGraceSlur/\stopGraceSlur, \startTextSpan/\stopTextSpan,
\startMeasureCount/\stopMeasureCount,
\startMeasureSpanner/\stopMeasureSpanner .  On the opposite side, there
is \endSpanners.

All of these strictly imply the beginning/end of typesetting, but then
the problem of halfties is that the usual connection of beginning/end of
typesetting with the flow of time is not there.

I was thinking of \leftTie/\rightTie instead, but then is the tie
pointing to the left, or is it supposed to be at the left end of a
repeat section?  I thought start/stop would be less ambiguous even if
somewhat uglier.

>> It could also be complemented by \startSlur and \stopSlur that have
>> similar problems but actually differing visuals, and tend to reach
>> closer to the respective bar line.
>>
>> Possibly \startSlur <ending pitch> and \stopSlur <starting pitch> in
>> order to get sensible/matching curvature.
>>

> This sounds like a good proposal to me.  But maybe \slurBegin and \slurEnd?

See above.

--
David Kastrup