hspace in markup cancels other directives

From: Jim Cline
Subject: hspace in markup cancels other directives
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 23:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to use \hspace to adjust the horizontal position of a text markup. In addition I want the text to be colored and smaller. But the \hspace directive somehow disables the others, as in this example.

\version "2.20.0"
lower =
  \relative c {
   \time 3/4
  \clef bass
bes^\markup{\smaller \with-color #blue \hspace #-3 text} r4 bes^\markup{\smaller \with-color #blue text}
}

\score {
    \new Staff = "lower" \lower
}

The second text has the right font and color, but the first one only has the right horizontal position. --Jim