Re: Non-printing notes

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: Non-printing notes
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 16:22:14 +0200

> On 31 Jul 2022, at 15:16, Jacques Menu <imj-muzhic@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> Hello Timothy,
>
> Thanks for the info. This version of Finale is old, and it does print the
> note heads, ignoring the print-object attribute.
>
> I’ll complement xml2ly to hide the note head in this case.
>
> A nice day!
>
> JM
>
>> Le 31 juil. 2022 à 00:06, Timothy Lanfear <timothy@lanfear.me> a écrit :
>>
>> On 30/07/2022 17:18, Jacques Menu wrote:
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> MusicXML has the 'print-object' attribute to notes, among other markups:
>>>
>>>                     <note print-object="no">
>>>                             <pitch>
>>>                                     <step>D</step>
>>>                                     <octave>3</octave>
>>>                             </pitch>
>>>                             <duration>768</duration>
>>>                             <voice>6</voice>
>>>                             <type>quarter</type>
>>>                             <stem>down</stem>
>>>                             <staff>2</staff>
>>>                     </note>
>>>
>>> This value ‘no’ is ignored by MuseScore and musicxml2ly, and Finale 2014b
>>> displays such notes in light gray this way, like the Ds and Gs below:
>>>
>>> <NotePrintObjectEqualsNo.png>
>>>
>>> What is the intended meaning, and how should this be displayed using
>>> LilyPond?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>> JM
>>>
>> MuseScore 3.2.3 also displays the note head in gray, but the stem normally.
>> When converting the file to PDF or printing, the note head is omitted and
>> the stem is printed. This behaviour is equivalent to LilyPond's \hide
>> NoteHead.
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Lanfear, Bristol, UK.

Loking at the spec
https://w3c.github.io/musicxml/musicxml-reference/elements/note/

I would say the proper behaviour is that the entire note, including the stem,
is hidden for these cases (but taken into account for spacing), not just the
notehead

====
print-dot
Controls the printing of an augmentation dot separately from the rest of the
note or rest. This is especially useful for notes that overlap in different
voices, or for chord sheets that contain lyrics and chords but no melody. If
print-object is set to no, this attribute is also interpreted as being set to
no if not present.

print-leger
Indicates whether leger lines are printed. Notes without leger lines are used
to indicate indeterminate high and low notes. It is yes if not present unless
print-object is set to no. This attribute is ignored for rests.
print-lyric     yes-no  No      Controls the printing of a lyric separately
from the rest of the note or rest. This is especially useful for notes that
overlap in different voices, or for chord sheets that contain lyrics and chords
but no melody. If print-object is set to no, this attribute is also interpreted
as being set to no if not present.

print-object
Specifies whether or not to print an object. It is yes if not specified.

print-spacing
Controls whether or not spacing is left for an invisible note or object. It is
used only if no note, dot, or lyric is being printed. The value is yes (leave
spacing) if not specified.

====