Re: [Linphone-developers] DTX / VAD for Speex in linphone

From: w4
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] DTX / VAD for Speex in linphone
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:02:49 +0200

hi,

thanks for the suggestions. i tried the G729b directly and indeed this
is the only codec where i could see a kind of VAD/DTX. wireshark shows
fewer packets in silence periods (actually it shows STUN packets...?)

would be great to know why i don't see any DTX with other codecs as also
the suggested PCMU shows a continuous flow in wireshark. i first thought
that maybe my mic isn't muted properly. but since all codecs send
silence (for instance PCMU uses ff:ff:ff...) and also with other UA i
can reproduce a visible VAD behavior, i begin to doubt that i am doing
it wrong...

opus seems to ignore usedtx=1 as well. is it btw possible to use opus
with a constant bit rate? (cbr=on?)...

> Linphone on debian stable is version 3.6.1 and provides opus codec:
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/linphone

sorry, it was old-stable (wheezy) with version 3.5.2...

the last tests i did with two new git clones.

if somebody has the time to produce a wireshark capture with activated
VAD for speex or pcmu... ;)

best,
Anne