Re: [Linphone-developers] Set Master Key for SRTP in linphone

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Set Master Key for SRTP in linphone
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 12:43:13 -0400

Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> writes:

>> When people and programs simply say "SRTP", I think they could mean either
>> of these:
>>   Session Description Protocol (SDP) Security Descriptions for Media Streams
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4568
>>   SRTP Extension for DTLS https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5764
>
> Any example of the latter?

I don't know if people really use DTLS-SRTP.

> They could rather mean SRTP proper.

I don't follow "SRTP proper".   If you mean "just SRTP without a key
management protocol" then this requires a UI at each end to input the
same key (and algorithm configuration, presumably).   I have never seen
any VOIP program that could be configured that way.

>> Or is it obvious that SRTP is short for "SDES-SRTP (RFC4568)"?  And that
>> DTLS is short for RFC5764?
>
> Yes as well, but, of course, only to those who is already aware of
> this zoo.  Educational value of Linphone UI in is, unfortunately,
> negative in that aspect.

I guess they could have tooltips with the longer versions.  Maybe I'll
file a bug report.