Re: [Linphone-developers] Uninstalling Linphone on Android seems to remo

From: Sylvain Berfini
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Uninstalling Linphone on Android seems to remove all Contacts - what does initializeSyncAccount do?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 14:59:14 +0200

Please find my answers below.

Sylvain Berfini
Software Engineer @ Belledonne Communications

Le 08/06/2020 à 14:49, Greg Troxel a écrit :
Sylvain Berfini <sylvain.berfini@belledonne-communications.com> writes:

Yes, contacts & modifications made through linphone app are stored by
Android under a raw id that is "owned" by our app, and Android removes
them when the app is uninstalled.
Do you mean:

   I have a contact on my carddav server.

   in linphone, I somehow add a sip address to it

   I remove linphone

   The entire contact is removed?  Or the sip address is removed?
No, only the SIP address will be removed.

Why does this behavior make sense?  Just because a contact entry was
made or modified by an app does not mean it should be removed when the
app is gone.  Consider someone using one mail client, storing email
addresses, and using a different client.

When this mode is disabled,
Which mode is this?  I flipped through settings in linhphone android
(from f-droid) and cannot figure it out.
It currently is a build setting, not a runtime setting.

SIP addresses are stored in the standard
SIP field of the contact, however many contact applications are only
displaying one.
Do you mean that the contact database has a sip field, but that
some/most contact display applications don't show it, and thus it's hard
to deal with?
Most applications do show it, but most of them only show one entry.

Cheers,

Sylvain Berfini
Software Engineer @ Belledonne Communications
Thank you very much for participating in the list.   I think it makes a
huge difference, and I hope comments from the community lead to
improvements in linphone, for both open source users and for your
proprietary license customers.