Re: [Linphone-developers] Audio framework

From: Sylvain Berfini
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Audio framework
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:38:30 +0100

Hi Cosmina,

On Android there are two audio drivers: AAudio (the new one) and OpenSLES (the deprecated one).
AAudio is currently only supported on devices running Android 9 and newer.

AAudio has many advantages over OpenSLES, two of them being the capacity to choose which device to use using it's ID and being able to choose the usage & content type for which you will play/record sound.
Sadly AAudio isn't yet properly supported on all Android devices (such as Samsung for example), that's why we offer the choice in the settings to choose which device/driver you want to use by default.

That being said, no matter which device you choose echo cancellation should work, either by using the device hardware feature or our software one if you enabled it in the audio settings.

Regarding Oboe, it's merely a wrapper above AAudio & OpenSLES so you would have to implement your audio logic only once. It also contains a few workarounds for some specific devices.
We do have a msoboe plugin for our linphone SDK but it is disabled by default, I created it as a proof of concept and to check if it bring a significant improvement over our existing sound cards, but it didn't.
You can still build it using cmake's -DENABLE_OBOE=ON parameter if you want to test it but I don't recommend it for production, it is only a PoC.

Lastly microphone isn't picked at random, it depends on the output audio route.
By default it is using the one at the bottom, but it you switch to speakerphone, headset or bluetooth it will switch to use the matching microphone.

Of course it's possible there is an issue on some devices we don't know about.
If you need a support contract, please see that with our sales department.

Cheers,

Sylvain Berfini
Head of Mobile & Desktop Apps Department

+33 (0)9 52 63 65 05
sylvain.berfini@belledonne-communications.com

Discover our solutions in 3 minutes!

Belledonne Communications, the company behind the Linphone project
https://linphone.org