lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] DNS servers from DHCP, DHCPv6, NDP

From: Craig McQueen
Subject: [lwip-devel] DNS servers from DHCP, DHCPv6, NDP
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 07:26:03 +0000

I'm looking into enabling IPv6 in lwIP. Something I noticed is, the DNS servers may be set to the IPv4 ones obtained from DHCP, or IPv6 ones obtained from DHCPv6 or NDP, but not the sum of all of them. I've had the situation where IPv6 DNS servers were down, but lwIP didn't save the IPv4 ones, and so had no fallback.

Looking in the code, I see calls to `dns_setserver()` in `dhcp.c`, `dhcp6.c`, `nd6.c`. In each case, it's in a for-loop that sets the `numdns` parameter starting at 0 in each case.

I notice in `dhcp6.c`, there is a comment saying /* @todo: do we need a different offset than DHCP(v4)? */. Yes I think something like that is needed.

--
Craig McQueen

Craig McQueen
Embedded Systems Engineer

:
:
:
+61 3 9780 4378
craig.mcqueen@innerrange.com
innerrange.com
 Inner Range • 1 Millennium Court • Knoxfield • Victoria • 3180 • Australia