lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header

From: Travis Siegel
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:56:16 -0400

fanfiction.net is using cloudflare to help distribute the load of web requests.  Cloudflare apparently requires javascript, cookies, and something in the browser string that identifies the browser as a standard browser.  Two of those you can fix with lynx, but you're never going to solve the javascript issue just using lynx. I've not tried hitting fanfiction.net using one of the various encarnations that can handle javascript, it may or may not work. I also haven't tried changing my identification string, though I doubt highly  that will solve the problem.  I'm guessing that if you could find the ip address of the fanfiction.net actual servers, and not the cloudflare servers they use to spread the workload, then you could bypass all these checks, and then the site may or may not work properly, but at least then you'd have a fighting chance.  I'm not convinced cloudflare will let lynx through no matter what you do try to get around it.