lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] (a) list mail format error; (b) broken owner- address

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] (a) list mail format error; (b) broken owner- address
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:35:23 -0400 (EDT)

> Majordomo uses <listname>-owner, for the default envelope address

Sure, for the envelope address, use whatever you want.  $LIST-owner,
$LIST-bounces, $LIST-bounces=$ENCODED_RECIPIENT, whatever.  If
anything, I'd say this is an argument _against_ using -owner for the
"contact a human" address, because, in most cases, I think it would be
stupid to use the same address for list mail envelope-from and for
contacting the listowner.  Routine bounce processing should not bother
a human - or, at least, if I were running a list with automated
software I wouldn't want routine bounces to land in my mailbox.

> and only suggests <listname>-request, not request-<listname>,

So?  I think this is the first time anyone has said anything about
-request addresses.  And -request _is_ standardized (well, actually,
-REQUEST, but most mail software case-folds local-parts); see RFC 2142
section 6, probably among others.

> although it does suggest defining both <listname>-owner and
> owner-<listname>.

Probably good advice...and only tangentially relevant to the question
at issue here.

I have no problem with listowners supporting multiple addresses for
contacting the listowner.  $LIST-owner, admin-$LIST, $LIST-riarthooir,
whatever you want...as long as owner-$LIST still works.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse@rodents-montreal.org