lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] (a) list mail format error; (b) broken owner- address

From: Travis Siegel
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] (a) list mail format error; (b) broken owner- address
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 21:50:46 -0400

On 8/13/2021 9:22 AM, Mouse wrote:
now. I don't know whether it's arrogance, just living in the GNU echo
chamber, or what, but they seem to expect everybody to Just Know that
they think they've rewritten the standard.

Standards don't work that way.

They do if you're microsoft.  How many times have we seen over the years when microsoft takes a perfectly good protocol, then completely rewrites it to suit their purposes (pap/chap anyone)?

That's just the first one that comes to mind.  I'm sure I could find more if I thought about it for a few minutes.  It's always possible to redefine a standard if you have enough clout/muscle behind the redefinition.

Microsoft isn't the only company who has done this in the past, just one of the biggest.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that it happens other places too.