make-alpha

Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals

From: Jon Forrest
Subject: Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 11:43:58 -0800

On 12/18/21 11:35 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

My take on this is a bit different: free_variable_set is poorly named and could be renamed to free_variable_set_list. There seems to be no need for a separate free_variable_set function.

I don't know the code well enough to have an opinion on this, but
if we're talking about renaming things, I'd suggest considering renaming
variable_set to variable_hash, since that's what it is.

Yes, it appears that .TARGETS is a circa 2002 idea that never got published. The source code and/or commentary mentions .TARGETS twelve times and perhaps these should all be looked at.

3) There's a misplaced comment about popping the top set off the current
variable_set_list in variable.c on lines 666 and 667. It should be before line 712.

Good catch.

Which brings me to the question of how you guys like to receive changes.
Do you want a formal GitHub PR, or do you accept informal diffs on
this list, or something else?

Thanks,
Jon