make-alpha

Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:22:42 -0800

On 12/18/21 11:43, Jon Forrest wrote:

Which brings me to the question of how you guys like to receive changes.
Do you want a formal GitHub PR, or do you accept informal diffs on
this list, or something else?

Yes, this is not well documented. As Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote earlier this month in <https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-make/2021-12/msg00020.html>:

I found it difficult to figure out how to submit patches to
this project. The Savannah page suggests the bug tracker, but as af
writing (and I'm logged in, as "avar") that link appears greyed out in
the web interface, and has a <span class="disabled">.

I suggest creating a patch by using "git format-patch", and then emailing it to bug-make@gnu.org by using "git send-email".

Perhaps Paul Smith would have a different preference. Whichever way, it should be documented better. A proposed patch is attached. It doesn't address the bug tracker issue, which still remains.

(A bit self-referential: I'm submitting a patch that says "here's how to submit a patch"!)