Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Issue with a Spanish translation

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Issue with a Spanish translation
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:40:35 +0200

David, I don't entirely understand your question.

Do you mean how to handle comments about translations in general, or this case in particular?
In general I'd say let people use Transifex to suggest an alternative translation to something, and let the original translator (team) decide if that's indeed the case.
Specific to this comment on the Spanish translation, it appears to be untranslated in the ocitysmap's .po file (which would cause it to use the untranslated Villages?). I'm also wondering if pueblo might not be a better translation still:

* pueblo [poo-ay’-blo]
noun
1. Town, village (aldea); any inhabited place. (m)

* barrio [bar’-re-o]
noun
1. One of the districts or wards into which a large town or city is divided. (m)

Pueblo seems closer to the OSM definition of Village. Additionally, barrio has a lot of other definitions, in particular in the Latin American dialects. Going with barrio over pueblo might confuse people, thinking for example the heading denotes neighbourhoods like a Chinatown, Latin Quarter, Red Light District, and so on.

Best regards,
Jeroen

[1] - http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/pueblo
[2] - http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/barrio