[GMG-Devel] requesting brain dump

From: Caleb Davis
Subject: [GMG-Devel] requesting brain dump
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:36:46 -0500

Hi all,

There's something that came up in irc a few days back about why it
would be tricky to accommodate ","- or " "-delimited tags as I had set
it up previously. Specifically it came up when
http://bugs.foocorp.net/issues/467 was going to be solved with a
static description of the text field - "Tags (separated by commas)".
Chris tried to explain to me why it would not work to just use
gmg_globals in the media forms.py for dynamic text in the field
descriptions. There was something about not knowing for sure that the
globals were loaded by the time the forms were rendered during
testing, but I don't recall anything else, and I still don't get it.

My webdev skills were about a decade old until I started contributing
to MediaGoblin, so I could be missing some fundamentals here. It's
more important at this phase to keep the code clean than it is to
allow luxuries like custom tag delimiters, but I am disappointed I
didn't use a flexible design in this case. I want to get it right next
time!

Thanks,
--Caleb