Re: [GMG-Devel] redmine -> trac: status; please read

From: Nathan Yergler
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] redmine -> trac: status; please read
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:00:31 -0800

Thanks for taking this on, Will; I'm sure it's not a minor task. A few
comments inline...

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Will Kahn-Greene <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please read this email. It's about the impending migration of MediaGoblin's
> bug data from the Redmine issue tracker we're using now to the Trac ticket
> tracker we'll be using in the very near future.
>

> I've got Trac 0.12 with the TracAccountManager plugin installed on
> http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ now. Additionally, I did a data migration
> from Redmine to Trac.
>
> There are a few things to know:
>
> 1. Redmine issues don't start with 1, so there's a mismatch between Redmine
> issues and Trac tickets.
>
> 2. All Trac tickets have an additional comment at the bottom that links back
> to the original Redmine issue.
>
> 3. Trac doesn't manage relationships between tickets: relates to, blocks,
> depends, duplicates, ... Trac allows you to resolve a ticket as a duplicate,
> but doesn't let you specify the ticket that it duplicates. In Trac you do
> that in the comments when you mark the ticket as a duplicate. My migration
> script doesn't do anything with the relations information at the moment. I'm
> open to ideas on what to do here.

Is it possible to read the relationships out of the Redmine data? If
so maybe the migration script could do a second pass and add the
appropriate comments -- after it's imported the issues into Trac and
can map issue numbers from Redmine to Trac, the script could add a
comment "This ticket is a ${relationship}s of ${ticket_num}s."

> 4. I haven't migrated any accounts over. So when we make this live:
>
>   1. people will create new accounts in Trac
>   2. let me know and I'll connect your account to tickets, attachments,
>      and changes
>
> If anyone has better ideas on what to do here, I'm all ears.

Is step 2 above automated-ish for you? I'd hate to make a bunch of
manual work for you post-migration. Any reason not to make accounts
for the email addresses/usernames in Redmine and make people do
"forgot my password"? This sort of relates to #5 below.

> 5. Trac has cc section in tickets, but it takes email addresses. Redmine
> issues have user accounts. Thus in order to connect the two, I need people
> to create accounts and such.
>
> However, this is a huge pain in the ass to populate after the fact. Is it ok
> if people re-cc: themselves to bugs they're interested in? If not, I'll
> spend the time to back-populate the data after the fact, but it'll probably
> take me a couple of weeks to get to.
>
> 6. I haven't closed any of the milestones. In Trac when a milestone is done,
> you close it out and then it doesn't show up in the active milestone list.
> I'll do that when we do a final migration, but I need to get the dates
> before I do.
>
> 7. Redmine issues text data is formatted in Markdown. Trac uses its own
> formatting markup. I just left the Redmine stuff as is, but it's ugly.
> Anyone have ideas on what to do here?

Does Trac allow HTML in ticket text? (I couldn't find a clear answer
from briefly browsing the docs.) If so maybe something like pandoc
(http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/) could help? (I don't know how
feasible that is, I just always think about it for formatting
conversion.)

Thanks again for taking this on, it's a huge job!

NRY