Re: [GMG-Devel] Reimagining "favorites" as "collections"

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Reimagining "favorites" as "collections"
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:25:02 -0500

I'm also going to jump on board in saying that I'm very much so in favor
of this proposal.  It does seem to me like we want a good general
purpose collection system, and that all of these systems are going to
share a ton of overlap... it seems sensible to do things this way.

However, one thought, which is statistical aggregation.  Hitting
"favorite" on a site tends to increase a counter on its popularity.
Wouldn't we want some way to aggregate that information?  How would we
do that in this system?  I think it's possible, but maybe it would
require also hitting a special-case hook somewhere?  Or otherwise, what
would the query look like?  (I do think that "favorite number" is
something we want to keep fairly normalized in the database.)

Thanks for the idea, Aaron!  It would be really cool to see this
implemented.