Re: [GMG-Devel] E-mail verification SMTP settings

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] E-mail verification SMTP settings
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 07:44:47 -0600

Damien Radtke writes:

> First, I'd like to say thanks for starting the mediagoblin project. It's a
> sign that the internet is moving in the right direction. =)
>
> Anyway, I'm working on setting up a personal server for some of my friends
> and me to use, and I've been experimenting with mediagoblin on it. For the
> most part everything works fine, with the exception of e-mail notifications
> when a new account is created.
>
> For testing purposes, I'm configuring mediagoblin to use gmail as the SMTP
> server (I couldn't get it to work locally, need to learn more about setting
> up SMTP for that), and I ran into an error with authentication.
>
> For reference, here are my smtp settings in mediagoblin_local.ini:
>
> email_debug_mode = false
> email_smtp_host = smtp.gmail.com
> email_smtp_port = 587
> email_smtp_user = <username>
> email_smtp_pass = <password>
>
> And here is the change needed for this to work:
>
> # mediagoblin/tools/mail.py line 104 (just before calling login)
> mhost.ehlo()
> mhost.starttls()
>
> Am I missing a configuration option for the SMTP security, or is this a
> scenario that hasn't been considered yet?
>
> Thanks!
> ~Damien

Hey Damien!  Thanks for catching this.

Hm, I think the main problem is people actually haven't been using this
feature really since most people are running locally :)

That looks like a good patch though.  My one question before it's
committed though is... should we make the mhost.starttls() bit optional?
Presumably if you're running on localhost you might not want that.
Should we make it a config option?

If so, this would be an easy fix to make in master.