Re: [GMG-Devel] Sharing privately using Tahoe-LAFS

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Sharing privately using Tahoe-LAFS
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:32:53 -0600

So, I don't think MediaGoblin will ever be a "P2P" system... it's aimed
at a publishing system.  However, we've talked about two things that are
relevant to this:

 - Adding Tahoe-LAFS as a storage backend.  Since Tahoe doesn't
   "remember" where things are, I believe we'd also need to make this a
   plugin with a table that "remembers" where things are.  However, we
   do support extensible storage systems:

   http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Storage

   ... so we can probably do that there.

 - As for federated private sharing, we *have* talked at the federated
   social web summit both about granting access to private media between
   instances in the future, and also about maybe an action that could
   "copy" down media from someone else's instance if you want to.
   However, those are both "far-future" ideas.... real federation
   support won't be worked on until 2013, so how this will work
   out... well it's mostly speculation.  However, combining those two
   ideas you get something that hits fairly well some of the aspects of
   private sharing you're talking about.

Is that useful?
 - Chris