[GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin for Android

From: Nathan Yergler
Subject: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin for Android
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:23:39 -0800

I'm very happy to report that I just pushed the first commits for a
working [with some caveats] MediaGoblin client for Android (MGA). The
code allows users to register a MediaGoblin account on their Android
device and upload images using the standard Android "share"
functionality. The application currently supports Android 2.3
(Gingerbread) and later. This builds on the API and OAuth plugins, as
well as a proof of concept developed by Michael Helland.

You can see screenshots of the installation process, logging in, and
uploading media at http://mediagoblin.com/tag/mga/

The source is available at https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin-android

So what are the caveats?  MGA uses the API and OAuth for communication
with MediaGoblin, so your server must have both plugins enabled.
Additionally, OAuth requires that a client application register with
the server out of band, in order to obtain an client ID and "secret"
key. This ID and key will be different on different servers, so we'll
need to figure out how to best handle this. Additionally, the OAuth
plugin needs support for refresh tokens. It appears that some thought
has been given to that, but they're not currently generated. With the
current support users would need to re-register every 30 days (when
tokens expire).

My intention is to work on improving the API to support refresh
tokens, and try to figure out how best to deal with the issue of
client registration in the near future. Once those issues are resolved
I'll make APKs available for installation. Until then you'll need to
grab the source, put in your client ID and secret key, and build it
yourself.

Suggestions, feedback, questions, etc all welcome.

Thanks,

NRY