Re: [GMG-Devel] Metadata in MediaGoblin

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Metadata in MediaGoblin
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:36:28 -0500

Heya Jonas, sorry for the delayed reply.  Things have been busy what
with all the activity with summer internships, etc.

So first of all, caveat, I never really worked much with the XMP stuff
at Creative Commons when I was there, so I can't provide advisement on
details related to that... I only worked on porting that bit when we
moved the chooser over to the new system... that said, the issue you're
trying to address I think has pretty general approaches within the
MediaGoblin codebase and I think it's possible.

Your first step for looking into this should be investigating the plugin
infrastructure:

  http://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/v0.4.1/#part-3-plugin-writer-s-guide

You'd probably want to do this in three parts:
 - Extend the processing code (this is probably about to change a bit
   shortly when the reprocessing branch lands) to handle this as an
   additional processing step.
 - Add additional data to the view context of a particular media
 - Add new views possibly if it's needed

If you jump on IRC, I can point you to relevant points of the code.  You
know how to find me.

Hope that's helpful!
 - Chris