[GMG-Devel] OpenNIC domain for mediagoblin website

From: fr33domlover
Subject: [GMG-Devel] OpenNIC domain for mediagoblin website
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:57:51 +0300

Hello,

I'm not a MediaGoblin developer or contributor, but I like the spirit
of the project and I'd like to suggest a tiny administrative addition
which can make a big difference.

You probably know the common DNS providers most people use are
centralized and give few greedy organizations full ownership of
domains. It always costs money, sometimes thousands of dollars. Even
then you just rent, not buy the domain. DNS requests can be tracked and
monitored, and people's internet access can be censored. The users
can't make any decisions, suggest new domains, control whether the DNS
servers do any logging, etc.

Solution: Democratic DNS controlled by its users, without corporate
intervention! It already exists:

<http://www.opennicproject.org/>

I personally use it as a user of the internet. It provides access to
both OpenNIC domains and to the centralized ICANN domains - com, org,
net and so on. I also use it as a website admin. My website has no
centralized DNS domain - just an OpenNIC one.

Since you already have such a domain, mediagoblin.org, you can very
easily create a new OpenNIC domain in addition, so OpenNIC users can
reach you without DNS tracking and be free as in freedom. The
registration process is very simple.

It would also help a lot to spread the use of OpenNIC of course,
especially if you write a news/blog entry about it or announce it
officially somehow!

Maintenance is minimal: Whenever your IP address changes, you'd need to
update your OpenNIC account in addition to the .org domain. That's all.
Otherwise it just works. There is no limited rent time (unless you
want), no fees to pay... you donate if you want, as much as you want.

What do you think?

-- fr33domlover

P.S. their website doesn't have instructions for using OpenNIC as a
user in case you use the NetworkManager applet, which is probably the
case if you use GNOME or XFCE - but I sent them instructions to post.
You technical people would easily figure it out in seconds, but here
are the instructions anyway. There are guides on the website which may
be more relevant to you, depending on the OS/distro you use.

But this works for me and should work for GNOME/XFCE desktop users:

If you don't use OpenNIC yet:
<http://85.65.55.38/tools/systems/user-guides/opennic/>

If you do use it:
<http://www.partager.null/tools/systems/user-guides/opennic/>