[GMG-Devel] Database Migration Docs

From: fr33domlover
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Database Migration Docs
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 01:35:47 +0300

Hello,

Recently I decided to migrate the GMG database of my instance from SQLite to
PostgreSQL. I asked on IRC how to do it, and the answer was that GMG itself
doesn't do migrations (just DB table initialization), and I'd need to find a
tool that converts databases between these two systems.

I did what seems to be a successful migration at

<http://media.rel4tion.org>

And I documented all my steps at

<http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover/gmg-db-migration/>

I hope this can be useful to other people doing the same thing. Just wanted to
let everyone know, especially if it's something worth putting in the GMG wiki
(but I'm not claiming high quality of that document, after all I'm just a
random user running a small GMG instance).

Any kind of feedback, review, comments, suggestions, etc. very welcome :-)

NOTE: The method described in that document isn't necessarily the shortest one.
Perhaps some automated tool can do the whole thing in a single command. But
what I do know is that the method I used is:

- Quick enough, very little "repetitive" work
- Seems to work, my instance is a live example/proof

---
fr33domlover         <http://www.rel4tion.org/people/fr33domlover>
GPG key ID:          63E5E57D (size: 4096)
GPG key fingerprint: 6FEE C222 7323 EF85 A49D  5487 5252 C5C8 63E5 E57D