Re: [GMG-Devel] Tags/Collections for batchaddmedia

From: Dan Krol
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Tags/Collections for batchaddmedia
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 14:10:43 -0800

I'm a bit delayed because I wanted to successfully upload my latest vacation, which required video transcoding, which requires Debian Jessie, which required something something yak hair.

Anyway that's all done; I will try my best to get the patch done tonight after my other Sunday to-dos. However one edge case came to mind as I had the transcoding errors, and I'm wondering about your opinion. Supposing a user were to try to batchaddmedia a cvs's worth of stuff, and come upon an error. They fix it (maybe they just had to apt-get more gstreamer stuff). At that point, they shouldn't just re-run the command, they should edit the csv to remove the items they already successfully uploaded (that's what I did). Maybe I could just put a warning message to do so if there's an error?

What would be worse, though, is if they chose to use celery to process things. Processing errors (video or otherwise) would be silent, and the other files would proceed anyway. Not such a big deal in general, but with collections it's an issue because order tends to matter (from a user perspective). They can't just fix the processing problem, go back, and re-upload the ones they missed. Even if we added re-ordering features, it loses some of the benefit of "bulk" to have to move things around manually after the fact. So, perhaps I should disable, or at least give a y/n warning, for batchaddmedia with celery, if there are any collections specified in the file?

Thanks.