[GMG-Devel] Should MediaGoblin be present at FOSDEM? You decide!

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Should MediaGoblin be present at FOSDEM? You decide!
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:24:46 -0600

Hello everyone,

I have some upcoming news, and I'm looking forward to sharing it... it
relates to MediaGoblin 1.0, and something that I believe will help us
get to that goal by early/mid next year.  But you'll have to wait till
next week (I hope) to hear that one!  (I'm not allowed to say yet.)

Meanwhile, I'm debating whether or not I should attend FOSDEM.  Over the
last year, I've mostly left my own travel expenses to my own pocketbook
rather than use up campaign funds we can use towards getting federation
work directly out the door.  However, that gets expensive.

I had proposed a number of talks surrounding the topic of "solving the
deployment crisis" (highly relevant to MediaGoblin's goals and
aspirations) for FOSDEM, but given the expense of both money and time to
fly overseas for FOSDEM attendance, I expressed that I was going to
withdraw from attending the conference this year.

However, in private I've had expression that some people would really
like me to go, and asked if I would go if we were able to get help in me
traveling.  So, if we reach $300 in donations by 2015-11-20, I'll go,
even if I pay part of the way myself (if not, the money just goes to the
project funds anyway, which isn't bad either)... if we reach much more
than that, maybe we can send Jessica, too!  (I'd really like to do this,
but spending money on wrapping up federation work has taken priority for
now.)  $100 has already been pre-pledged, so that's not far to go.

So let's try that experiment... here's the donate link, and if you think
MediaGoblin's attendance at FOSDEM is :

  https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=36

If you donate, I'm able to make it, and you'll be at FOSDEM too, we can
do a GMG donor dinner, if you're interested!

I'll reply to this thread either way by next week letting people know
the outcome.

Thanks everyone!
 - Chris