Re: [GMG-Devel] using swipe gestures to navigate mediagoblin screens

From: Lloyd Kvam
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] using swipe gestures to navigate mediagoblin screens
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:28:32 -0500

On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 09:06 -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Lloyd Kvam writes:
>
> > I've noticed that mediagoblin is a bit awkward to navigate on a tablet.
> > I'm happy to write the code and tests to support swipe gestures.
> >
> > I'm looking for a contact person to point me in the correct direction
> > and review my submission.]
>
> The right path to go would be to either post a git branch or some
> patches using `git format-patch' to http://issues.mediagoblin.org/
> and to discuss your work on #mediagoblin on irc.freenode.net.  That's
> the usual MediaGoblin direction of communication.

OK.  I'll start with an irc query.

> That said, hey!  This sounds really exciting.  What kind of APIs are
> used for the swipe support features?  I know very little about that
> technology.

Essentially, the touch gestures are available as javascript events in
the same way that mouse events are available.  I'd link the swipeleft
and swiperight events to the {newer | older} button and page links.
Clicking a link or button works without any javascript support.  Adding
the swipe support should be pretty painless.