[GMG-Devel] Intro, Questions, etc

From: Perry Smith
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Intro, Questions, etc
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 08:20:09 -0500

Hi,

I clicked the subscribe button on the email signup page but I have yet to receive my Welcome message.  I thought I would try to send an email anyway.

Intro: Hi… I’m a fairly competent geek interested in finding a way for average Joe Loser to get away from YouTube.  I wanted to download and try out Media Goblin. My quest started when a friend pointed me to Eben’s “Freedom in the Cloud” talk dated back in 2010.

I view a lot of YouTubes and most of the channels complain about censorship.  I’m curious to see if I can help them move off of YouTube to something that has more freedom.

One thought is to first build a server locally and play with it.  Another thought is to put one up on a virtual client somewhere.  And that is part of my questions.

Will something like the Odroid XU4 be enough power to this purpose?  It is roughly like a Pi but newer and more powerful.  I suspect it will be but thought I’d ask.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

I have the same question about a virtual client in the cloud.  Do you have any recommendations for such a thing?  Mostly it would be just to poke and play with the software.  I have a hosted site but I don’t have full control of the machine.  I think for Media Goblin, it would be nicer / easier to get the whole virtual machine to work on.  What are your thoughts?

The last question is the status of the project.  The last blog post was 2016.  I see a little email traffic on this mailing list but not much.  What major pieces are left to push this to a full 1.0 ready for prime time release?  Is there a To Do List or a Wish List somewhere?  Is the project more or less waiting for Activity Pub to get more flushed out?

And… I don’t want to bruise egos but … is Media Goblin the most developed solution from a free internet perspective there is to possibly being a viable alternative to YouTube or is there another project that has equal or more potential at this time?  So far, I’ve not found anything but I thought I would ask.

Thank you for your time,
Perry