What is RabbitMQ for?

From: Olivier Mehani
Subject: What is RabbitMQ for?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 23:05:32 +1000

Hey there,

There is something that I never quite manage to put my finger on.

What is RabbitMQ needed for?

It is mentioned in the deployment guide [0] as an option for production servers, but it's not clear what for.

I do run celery separate from paster, and all has been working quite well despite the absence of RabbitMQ.

I have, however, had a recuring problem of the uploads sometimes choking on a locked (SQLite) DB when I upload a few files in a row. I am now wondering if RabbitMQ would actually make this issue disappear by, perhaps, serialising the requests so they get processed once at a time?

[0] https://mediagoblin.readthedocs.io/en/stable/siteadmin/deploying.html

--
Olivier Mehani <address@hidden>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655