Re: Remove sphinx from native inputs

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Remove sphinx from native inputs
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:30:36 -0400

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:37:36 +1000 Ben Sturmfels <ben@sturm.com.au> wrote:
> Just to be clear, I think that currently this issue cascades to *all*
> the python dependencies, so modifying waitress alone won't help. I'm
> working on a broader fix to MediaGoblin so we can stick to `inputs` only.

Got it, cool!

> Currently I'm aiming to make a modest 0.12.0 release in a matter of
> days to publish some useful bug-fixes.

Awesome!

> Beyond that I'm currently prioritising general improvements to
> MediaGoblin like bug fixes, improving docs, simplifying installation and
> helping people over new feature development.

These would be much appreciated. I'll try to help on that front if I find
anything that could be improved.

One thought I was discussing with a friend today (Ryan Prior) was whether we
could provide mediagoblin docker images built with `guix pack`.

See

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pack.html

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/

This would allow guix to be the "source of truth" for the mediagoblin
docker images.

Ideally we could produce a docker-compose setup with required containers built
from a Guix System declaration and `guix pack` but I don't think guix is able
to produce orchestrated docker containers yet. We'd also need the Guix System
service for mediagoblin first ;)

I'll ask on the mailing list to find out more about the state of the above
musings.

all best,

/ 3B1D 7F19 E36B B60C 0F5B 2CA9 A52A A2B4 \
\ 77B6 DD35                               /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||