Re: Build refactor and dockerisation of Mediagoblin

From: Dan Helfman
Subject: Re: Build refactor and dockerisation of Mediagoblin
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 21:27:46 -0700

Olivier Mehani wrote:

I resorted to building from debian:bullseye-slim, which has Python 3.9. Due to the use of ABC.Collections, Mediagoblin is currently not compatible with Python 3.10. Another fix that we'll have to work on soonish.
This leaves us with a ~1GiB image, which is not ideal, but hard to beat as Gstreamer's dependencies run deep, all the way down to systemd. This is quite useless in a container, but installed through transitive package requirements nonetheless.

I have a MediaGoblin image I've been using in "production" for a while, also based on Debian and Python 3.9, that's closer to 842 MB uncompressed and 329 MB compressed. Might be worth borrowing from its Dockerfile if you want to slim down your image some. It's entirely possible there are additional things that could be cut out, too.

Dan