myexperiment-discuss

Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] a requirement while I remember!

From: M. Scott Marshall
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] a requirement while I remember!
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:45:34 +0200

> We talk a lot about giving credit to people who publish as an incentive
> - one obvious thing is to indicate how many times a workflow has been
> downloaded.
> Please can we introduce some credit and citation feedback

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how often a workflow has been run? I
imagine that if, by downloading a workflow from myExp (counter++), you
actually got a slightly modified version: a version with a Taverna
tracking code/workflow identifier inserted into the SCUFL (similar to
the code you insert for Google Analytics or other web stat service). So,
when you run the workflow, a counter corresponding to that workflow gets
knotched up by one iota on a myExp server. And when it runs to
*completion* you get a few more iota's. This would not require any
special effort on the user's part (but admittedly some special effort on
the part of my* developers..).

Then, along the same lines as the ISMB micropayment idea, workflow
developers can grant some of their "iota's" to workflows that they like.
Or trade them in for a higher priority on a bug fix/feature request. :)

-scott

n.b. When the days of semantic markup arrive, a similar point system
would be interesting to use to "harvest" concepts for a view of the
global semantic discourse.

--
M. Scott Marshall
tel. +31 (0) 20 525 7522