Re: (Not-so) hypothetical question: What to do about NULs?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: (Not-so) hypothetical question: What to do about NULs?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 06:14:53 -0800

Ken wrote:

> But RFC 2045 says in ยง6.2:
>
>    Thus there are no
>    circumstances in which the "binary" Content-Transfer-Encoding is
>    actually valid in Internet mail.

> Also, I am not aware of "binary" being used as a C-T-E at all.

I have received email with C-T-E set to binary.  While I don't think it
was needed, I haven't checked closely.

> - Completely handle embedded NULs properly.  This is arguably the most
>   correct option but would involve a lot of code changes.

This might not be much of a lift.  m_getfld might handle NULs in bodies,
and the MIME parser comes close to handling them as well.

mhshow has a test-binary that says that it reads a null byte, but it's
just a space.  That should be fixed, but I think that might reveal
(minor?) deficiencies elsewhere.

David