Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:10:47 +0200

ons, 27 09 2006 kl. 14:56 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> We haven't discussed it too much, but I expect that 3.0.X would only
> contain bug fixes.  3.1 could contain new features.  If we make any
> major changes to the internals we might want to bump the major version
> number.  But I don't think we have to be too strict about any of
> this.  I'd be happy to hear other opinions.
I don't really know much about this stuff, but here's my opinion.
I basicly think 3.0.x could contain anything that doesn't break both API
and ABI. I think it's a bit annoying that I have to recompile
octave-forge when I upgrade octave. So it would be great if we could
make sure the ABI is the same across 3.0.x releases. Then we could move
to 3.1.x (or 3.2.x?) when the ABI and API needs changing.

Søren