Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:19:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, David Bateman wrote:

I see this as a pity as I feel there are two things needed for wide
acceptance of octave; these being a good windows installer (ie an exe
and one that doesn't suffer from the cygwin sjlj exception issue), and
graphic handles. I'd like to eventually see classes but think that can wait.

From the point of view of a windows build, releasing 3.0 would be a
good thing. Many people are waiting before trying 2.9.x on windows.

Currnetly, the 2.9.x series is very tricky to build. It has lots more
dependencies esp for sparse, and - in my experience - is more demanding
of the compiler.

Once 3.0 comes out, I predict we'll see lots more people trying
(and failing) to build/use 3.0. But this is exactly what is supposed
to happen with dot zero releases ...

--
Andy Adler