Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:23:55 +0300

While OpenGL will take care of all the 3D stuff, you still have all
the "graph" things to take care of -- axes, tics, legends, titles
etc... All are "trivial" but with many small annoying details (auto
axes limits and ticks is quite hard IMHO). this is quite a lot of
work. octplot is under development for more than 2 years (although
it's not very intensive development) and these things are still far
from prefect

Sorry I don't have anything productive to say ...

Shai

On 9/29/06, Sebastien Loisel <address@hidden> wrote:

> If all we expect the back end to do is draw lines and text, then
> it seems to me that we have to do a lot of work in Octave to recreate
> the things that tools like gnuplot can already do (drawing axes,
> automatic placement of tic marcs, drawing different line styles,
> hidden line removal, etc.).  That seems like a waste to me.  So is
> there a general purpose graphics library that can help with this?

Yes, it's called OpenGL. I haven't done the 3d plot yet (as you might
imagine, OpenGL excels at 3D; hidden line removal can be done in a variety
of ways in OpenGL) but Workshop has line styles and everything in there. As
a matter of fact, Christophe's patch to GL2PS was to properly support
stipples for postscript output.

The screenshot
http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/octave-workshop/screenshot-windows-0.10.png
showcases some of these basic features.