Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released

From: Matthias W. Klein
Subject: Re: OCL package 1.0.0 released
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 21:53:49 +0200

Dear Matthias,

I have managed to install your package but am getting the error
message below.

I am using ubuntu linux 14.04LTS. I am not sure whether opencl
is completely installed?

I do not know what the correct name of the opencl package is for
ubuntu 14.04 so that I can specify this on the synaptic package
manager?

How do I specify that your package (or opencl) should use the
core i7 on my machine?

My machine also has a radeon graphics card (but I do not know
how to determine the exact model number and specifications of
the radeon graphics card, etc).

How do I specify that your package (or opencl) should rather use
the radeon graphics card for the computations (as this may be
faster)?

Thank you very much for any assistance with regard to the above.

Best wishes,
Constantinos

octave:24> ocl_tests
Testing ocl_constant function...
Testing ocl_lib function...
Testing ocl_context function...
ocl: calling OpenCL function 'clGetPlatformIDs'
  returned error 'CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR' (-1001).
  Please check your OpenCL installation.
error: ocl_context: OpenCL function call error
error: called from:
error:   /home/cfrangos/octave/ocl-1.0.0/ocl_tests.m at line 85, column 11
octave:24>

Constantinos,

the OCL package comes with a README file, in the doc/ subdirectory.  You
can use the octave command 'pkg list' to find your directory where the
package is installed, in order to get to the file.  The README contains
comprehensive info on using the package, including a "troubleshooting"
section distinguishing OpenCL installation issues from OCL issues.

From your messages, I estimate that your system contains an OpenCL
library (=the "ICD loader"), but no specific hardware device drivers (or
none correctly installed; see also your /etc/OpenCL/vendors/* in Linux).
 You can find lots of infos on OpenCL Linux driver installation in the web.

Once you have your drivers accessible, you can use the OCL function
'ocl_context' to list and choose your hardware to use - type 'help
ocl_context' to see its syntax help.

Best,
Matt