pan-users

[Pan-users] My Wish List

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: [Pan-users] My Wish List
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:49:04 +0100

Following on from Marcelo, here are a couple of things I'd like to see
included. Both should be trivially easy, but alas my lack of knowledge of
string functions in C bars me from attempting to implement them :-(

1. Dynamic Signatures

Pan should check the name of the signature file being used. If the name ends in
"|", then it should strip the "|" from the end of the file name, *run* the
specified file as an executable and use its STDOUT as the signature.

This way we can have nice fortunes in our signatures. Yay.

A further idea would be to optionally pass the newsgroup as an argument to the
program. This would nicely allow for custom signatures for each newsgroup.

2. Pipes Menu

In the message composition window, create a new user-definable menu called
"Pipes" or something similar. The user can define their own entries into it,
for example:

Rot 13:         `tr "[a-z]" "[n-za-m]"`
GPG Sign:       `gpg --clearsign`

Then, if the user needed to Rot 13 part of his message, he would select the
part and choose "Rot 13" from the Pipes menu. The selected text would be piped
through the command and the output of the command would replace the original
text.

I realise there is already a "Rot 13" function, but I think this would be a
nicer and more extensible implementation.

--
Toby A Inkster. I can't think of anything clever to write here.
E-mail:   address@hidden

Where is John Carson now that we need him?
                -- RLG